A web application is developed with code and dependent on a common web browser to make the application executable. The popularity of web application development is endless. One example of web application development popularity is that they are often free and require no installation to your computer. A second example is the ability to update web applications without distributing and installing software on thousands of computers.
Web developers use many different interfaces when developing applications, such as Java, Flash, PHP, and Ajax. PHP and Ajax are great examples of an interface that web developers want to use more of, because they are a combination of development techniques. This means that the completed application will be a more interactive experience.
Web application development is broken into tiers, and each tier is assigned a role. The most common web application is the three-tiered application. Each tier is represented by a name. In three-tiered development the names are, first to third tier:
Presentation– In this step the web browser is selected.
Application– In this tier you pick and begin developing your web application with the technology you want to develop on.
Storage– In this tier the database is presented. This will allow for queries and updates to be made.
Web application development is a large part of online gaming, storage, web searching, and photo editing, just to name a few. Here are some examples of successful web applications:
- Bejeweled (PopCap Games)— Swap adjacent gems to align sets of three or more. A winning set is three or more gems of the same color. Combos and cascades award extra points. Fill the gem meter for a bonus.
- FarmVille (Zynga)— Various aspects of farm management such as plowing land, planting, growing and harvesting crops, harvesting trees and bushes, and by raising livestock
- GoogleDocs— It allows users to create and edit documents online while collaborating in real-time with other users. Documents are automatically saved to Google’s servers to prevent data loss, and a revision history is automatically kept so past edits may be viewed.
- Backupify— A different route in Internet storage service oriented path. Their nifty little service allows anyone to backup all of their web accounts easily and at an outstanding price. With support for popular apps such as Twitter, Flickr, GMail and WordPress, their service is perfect for those who worry about their security online.
- Picnik— Makes your photos fabulous with easy to use yet powerful editing tools. Fix your photos in just one click. Use advanced controls to fine-tune your results. Crop, resize, and rotate in real-time. Tons of special effects, from artsy to fun. Astoundingly fast, right in your browser.